Vivonne BayVivonne Bay is located on the south coast of Kangaroo Island, South Australia, 61 km. from Kingscote, the Island’s main town, and was named by the French explorer Nicolas Baudin who visited the bay in January 1803.
Vivonne Bay is characterised by its long, sandy beach and the jetty which is used extensively by cray fishermen for off-loading of their catch. The middle portion of the jetty was removed during the Second World War as a deterrent to enemy ships wishing to embark on the Island.
Immediately above the jetty is the town of Vivonne.
In a survey of 10,000 beaches by Professor Andrew Short, director of Sydney University’s marine studies centre, the beach at Vivonne Bay was adjudged as the best in Australia. Vivonne Bay is however recognised as having a significant undertow and at times a sizeable swell, and is therefore more suited to experienced swimmers.
There is a general store located on the South Coast Road, whilst Kangaroo Island SeaLink runs an outdoor education facility a short distance from the bay and Harriet River. A camping ground is located near the Harriet River.